Monday, January 19, 2009

Help please!

Matthew and I would like to try for another baby later on this year so we are looking to get some supplemental maternity/disability coverage. Currently the plan we are on has a $6500 deductible before they will pay 100%! AAAHHHH!! Any advice on what is out there is much appreciated :> (yes-we've looked into Aflac already) Thanks!

4 comments:

Drew and Randi said...

wow!I'm sorry!! i will keep my ear out and see what i can find out for you!! But, i'm excited you want to try again!! Jase needs a little sister!! Ü

Jessarella said...

Joss wants a girl cousin! But she would be happy with another boy one too, she is used to them!
I don't know anything about supplemental insurance coverage. Sorry!!

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry to tell you that Aflac is the only other help out there. We are in the same situation. My neighbor next door is an insurance salesman and we've talked to him until we're blue in the face about this. Unless you qualify for Medicare, (welfare insurance) you'll get to pay that. It's really sad when someone wants to have a baby and the world is so messed up that it causes us to take out a loan to have such a wonderful blessing. That's why I work so hard right now. Good luck!

Miranda said...

Ok, I have an idea for you. Though I'm not sure it's the solution you're looking for, but you never know. So, hear me out.

I've learned that if you deliver with a midwife the total cost is somewhere between $3000 to $4000 instead of a $6500 deductible and then more on top of that. They normally have payment plans where you pay a little every month until the big day. And if you started saving a little every month now by the time you are actually pregnant you could have a nice chunk of that out of the way.

There are lots of options when delivering with a midwife. Some midwifes only deliver in hospitals so if there is a problem there is a medical staff right there. Plus you can still use meds to help with pain if you'd like.

You can deliver in a birthing center that is normally near a hospital so if, like I said, there is an emergency you are just down the street. Birthing centers are beautiful and designed to look like home. Peaceful and comfortable. But pull aside the curtains and open the closets and there is all the medical stuff needed to deliver your baby.

The last option is the extreme of delivering in your own home. Not what I would like to do, but the other two options I wouldn't mind.

You probably think I'm crazy for even suggesting the idea. But, since it is less expensive and still a beautiful way to have a baby I thought I'd let you know.

There are lots of books out there to give you more infromation. If the idea is at all interesting to you, let me know. I've done a lot of research on the topic and could answer a lot of your questions.

If this is absolutley not the way for you then know I was just trying to help and that I hope you find the perfect solution for your family.

Either way, I am excited for you.

Love you, Miranda